A great way to enhance your western decor and feel is with natural stone. Although when thinking of stone, most people think outdoor landscapes. However, there is much more you can do with natural stone than simply add it to your gardens. Use it indoors for some great looking accents or create stone walls to really give that rustic and western ambiance.
Here are some examples:
USING NATURAL STONE INDOORS
1. Use flat stones as natural saucers underneath flower pots. However, only use artificial plants with this technique. Obviously, live plants will need to be watered, and a stone saucer will not be enough to catch the water.
2. Glue small stones and pebbles onto a flower pot to create a stone planter.
3. For a large project, add a stone accent wall to a room in your house. Stone fireplace mantels scream western and should certainly give you the decor you’re after. Adding an animal head will create that look even more.
4. Fill one or many wooden bowls with small stones and pebbles. Arrange bowls together in a grouping on a table to create a display.
5. Place pebbles in canning jars or other glass jars and place jars in a display in the kitchen or dining room.
USING NATURAL STONE OUTDOORS
1. Create a “dry stacked stone” wall as a border for a planting bed. To do this, find various sized and mostly flat stones anywhere you can find them in nature, or purchase them as needed. Many stores carry various sizes of stones.
Starting at the bottom or lowest level, begin stacking stones in layers, trying to fit each rock snuggly against the others so as to create a strong wall. The tighter fitting, the more stable the wall. Don’t worry if they don’t fit perfectly together. They rarely do. Work slowly and deliberately to get the best stones for the best fit.
Remember to keep your wall short. Taller walls will usually not stand upright easily.
2. Purchase a faux stone product at your local home improvement center and construct a wall using this material. Your local stores have a wide selection of products from which to choose, as well as photos and sample of the final walls.
3. Create a rock garden by placing various large sized rocks within a planting area. Grouping some rocks together along with keeping other separate is an established technique for this. In addition, create different levels of planting areas by separating them with larger rocks, esssencially creating mini planting areas within the larger garden.
4. Create pathways lines with stone borders for a rustic woodsy feel.
These are just some examples of using natural stone to enhance your western décor. You are limited only by your imagination. Get creative and come up with your own ideas.